Sunday, March 17, 2013

Treasure Hunt Activity for My Treasures!

Let's just keep it real… Parenting is ridiculously difficult! I see even the most confident & secure women, who I greatly admire, second-guessing parenting choices all the time! So those rare moments, when you feel like you have not just survived, but actually THRIVED in a parenting scenario, feel so amazing! Feeling like an "A+ Parent"..... It's such a rare, but satisfying feeling for me. Muah! KFH! (Kiss From Heaven!) This particular KFH came by way of St. Patrick's Day. For those who may just link on from Pinterest, you are welcome to scroll down, if you haven't already! Long story, short... I created a fun St. Patrick's Day tradition for our family! ;)
Longer and more personal story, we had my bonus son (a more favored label for my step-son) here with us for the weekend. I'm not sure if other bonus parents feel this way, but for over 5 years, I've observed this stronger biological love for birth parents (regardless of their actions) and a learned & less loyal love for step-parents (compiled from all parties' actions & birth parents' example). I primarily try to understand the child's perspective, especially with children who start a relationship with their step-parents later in life and children who have experienced their birth parents together in a once loving relationship. With my specific situation, it seems less complicated! I've been in Parker's life, since he was about 18 months old, and his birth parents broke up before he was 6 months old, with no marriage ties. Even though, most (& likely all) of his memories with his Daddy include me, I still perceive Parker's love for me to be more conditional. I truly hope I am wrong. My whole point is this... my perception, whether right or wrong, has fueled me to be a better parent!

Any rare compliment or glimpse of gratitude, that I receive from my bonus son, only seems to be earned with extra effort! I very deliberately work to plan & create loving, fun and teachable moments or activities in the very limited time we share with him. As silly as it sounds, my bonus son "keeps me on my game" as a parent! LOL! All this being said, I love my children (bonus son & birth daughter) with all my heart. It is ONLY out of my love, that I want to help them in every way I can to be loving, joyful & wise people. None of my actions are FOR praise or affirmation... but when Parkey tells me, "This was awesome!" or my little Savanna (almost 2) says, "I love it, Mama!"... I do feel ridiculously happy. It's encouraging to hear their feedback once in a while... almost like a whisper from God (or KFH!) reminding me that my [often invisible and immeasurable] efforts MATTER!

So... warm fuzzies and KFH's aside, let's talk about the St. Patty's Search Activity that was a fun hit in the Greenwood Home! I guess if you're not Irish, St. Patrick's Day may be nothing more than a day of booze and/or the color green. With my husband's past addiction struggles, it was only about GREEN in our home! (and it was just as fun) :) 

GREEN chocolate chip pancakes, GREEN eggs & ham, & GREEN pear slices for breakfast...
GREEN frosting & GREEN cupcakes to decorate...
GREEN mint chocolate chip ice cream in waffle bowls for dessert...
And many more GREEN foods... (The next day, Savanna's diaper was elevated to a vibrant shade of GREEN that only Crayola makes!) ;)
GREEN water for bath times...
I was also going to do some cute Pinterest gags - including little GREEN "leprechaun footprints" on the toilet seat and GREEN "leprechaun pee" in the toilet bowl... BUT my son had a very unexpected and irrational fear of leprechauns! I never imagined a 7 year-old boy being so scared of even the mention of little leprechauns... but we've all had some silly fear. I'm just glad we discovered it, before I began my leprechaun pranks around our home! LOL!

After my leprechaun ideas flopped, I started to think more like an A+ Parent… “What do MY kiddos like?”  Adventures!  Exploring!  Rewards!  So, I drew inspiration from the best part of leprechauns… their POT OF GOLD at the end of the RAINBOW! 
(I already had these items at home, because when we “catch” our kiddos “doing good”, they receive “Greenwood Gold”, which they can use to “purchase  rewards” on Sundays.) Enjoy making your own “pot of treasures”, but the gold coins are from US Toy Company.
I began making colored clues in “ROY G. BIV” rainbow order and hiding them in rooms throughout our home. (It still felt like winter outside, so I hope to incorporate outside clues in the years to come!) You will most likely have fun making your own clues to find your Pot of Gold, but here are mine, if it helps activate your imagination! (We may do more GREEN clues next year to make it last a little longer.)
 
Red – Some people have plaid ones, or beige ones, or brown ones… One of ours is RED, and Mom doesn’t like her pillows sat on!  (Red Sofa)
Orange – Some oranges are fake and some are real… But all oranges are ORANGE, and that’s the deal!  (Fake Orange in the Fruit Bowl)
Yellow – Spatulas flip pancakes, and whisks make jello. Both these kitchen tools are in here & it is YELLOW!  (Yellow Utensil Canister)
Green – It’s textured, soft & GREEN and in Sissy’s room. She lays on it and gets her diaper changed too! (Green Rug in Sissy’s Room)
Blue – Roses are red, and violets are BLUE. Your next clue is in the toilet… and it’s BLUE, too! (Taped on the Toilet Lid… Still found a way to color the toilet water! You could even do it for the GREEN clue!)
Indigo – The only place I could find INDIGO is in this desk… because there’s crayons in it, but it’s a mess! (Crayon Box in Bubba’s Desk)

Violet – Who’s the best VIOLET dinosaur around?! When you squeeze his tummy, he makes a sound! (Stuffed Barney that sings “I Love You, You Love Me”)
Rainbow Paper – I love you, you love me. We’re a happy family! If you look around the room, you will see it too… Behind YOUR FAMILY is the very last clue! (Taped Behind Family Portrait on the Wall)

Rainbow Paper – Yay! It’s closer than you think! Turn & Face SOUTH. Walk 10 paces & open the door to your POT OF GOLD! 
And there you have it… Of course, at Savanna’s age, she liked the shamrock cookie reward the best, but I loved to see how Parker enjoyed the journey, more than the rewards! My toddler loved chasing big brother, playing with some of the objects and holding the clues. My 1st grader enjoyed solving clues, remembering which colors came next and practicing his reading skills on the clues. My hubby was a great adventure guide... there to help his treasure hunters when needed. I just stood back and admired all of them. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment